The Department of Basic Education discussed the progress the Department has made in the sector of Inclusive Education and Special Education. Some of the issues raised at the meeting include:
• The uncertainty about the number of children with special needs who are not in schools and have been placed on waiting lists.
• When does the Department intend to own braille production systems?
• What strategies does DBE have in place to ensure that the conditional grants are not used for other items outside of inclusive education?
• When was the last audit on special schools done?
• The waiting list increases year by year and special schools have age limits. What happens with the learners that have become too old to enroll at a school after bring on the waiting list for a long time?
• The uncertainty of what needs to prioritised going forward between more inclusive schools or more special schools taking into account the training of teachers.
• Are there any schools that are no fee schools for learners with special needs?
• The increase in the number of special schools with boarding facilities.
FOR THE FULL REPORT CLICK HERE